Pages

December 6, 2014

My Flash Friday Entry #10


Today's Flash! Friday hosted by Rebekah Postupak is very special - it's the second Flashversary, and this time there are three rounds to determine the winners as well as prizes galore! I really felt the pressure to up my game today, lol. 

Below you'll find my entry for Round One, and tomorrow I'll find out if I've made it to Round Two. Here's hoping!! 

Today we were required to do the following:
  • Use the photo prompt
  • Word count 150 exactly, no more no less


The photo prompt:


Red Sunset. CC2.0 photo by Petteri Sulonen 




~ Torch of Light ~
150 words

Our village is burning down as the day slips into night. Closing my eyes, the image of the setting sun and the church steeple stark against the burning sky has seared itself into my unwilling brain.  

“Mama, I cannot breathe,” I whisper into her sweater.

“I know, Alyona, I am sorry. But we must be quiet now.”

I focus on listening to her steady heartbeat, allowing the sound to calm my own heart. The fire allows the thick black smoke to choke us, the heat to stifle us. The hellish flames continue to lick the buildings with their orange tongues of destruction.

Mama attempts to distract me. “Have I ever told you what your name means?” she whispers softly.

“No, Mama.”

“‘The torch of light.’ You will be the light our village needs once this scourge has reached its end.” Tenderly she kisses my forehead and holds me closer.

* * * * * *

I'm really proud of this one. I was super nervous about coming up with an idea since it's the flashversary, and that photo! Wow, that photo is mesmerizing. 

An idea immediately popped into my head, which is what I wrote above, and I think it's my best entry so far. I have high hopes I'll at least make it to the second round. 

Wish me luck!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and make my day awesome! :D This is an award-free zone - thanks for your consideration though!