Pages

January 9, 2013

review ~ pearl lover

Pearl Lover
Title: Pearl Lover
Author: Kea Noli
# of Pages: 220
Publication Date: July 4, 2012
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
My Copy: Kindle edition provided by the author for review
Average Rating: 3.60 / 5.00
My Rating: 4.00 / 5.00

Goodreads Synopsis 
A spoilt debutante. A manipulating mother. And a love triangle with a twist.

Nixie Veidt is forced to choose between money and love. She must stay faithful to the bureaucrat she marries to save her inheritance, but her love belongs to a Russian dancer. When she hires him for her company, she risks everything.

Is it moral to love two men? Be prepared for an unconventional ending.

Nixie's mother, a wealthy socialite, hires a private detective and spies on her daughter. A debutante's conflicting love for two men, and the struggling rebirth of Ballets Russes, a ballet company. 



My Thoughts
I received a copy of this book from the author for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own, and I received no compensation for my review whatsoever.

First of all, I have to say I adore the cover; it's exactly how I would picture Nixie, the main character. This book was so different from anything I've read, and that was my favorite aspect in trying out a genre I might not otherwise have noticed. The story itself is definitely interesting, but in the beginning there wasn't quite enough setting and character description for me. As the story developed, however, I did become invested in the characters, especially Nixie. I really grew to love her!

Maria, Nixie's mother, was never much of a mother and seemed selfish. I truly believe she only married Nixie's father for his money, and she never questioned where it came from; she just wanted to spend it and live in luxury. Maria is just horrible in my opinion!

I found it really strange that Nixie's father told her to take her money and run so her mother wouldn't get it. Wouldn't the mother get control of it anyway since Nixie was only 17 and a minor? And Nixie does not seem like she's 17--she's probably the most mature character in the book (except for Morten). She's more like a 30 year old. Nixie's "boyfriend" Kolya, is the opposite of her in maturity. He's childish, throws tantrums, and overall doesn't care about anyone but himself. I never believed for a second that he loved Nixie--once again, it was about her money that he wanted to start up a Russian ballet company. I really don't know what she saw in him. Their common interest in ballet? They're both dancers. I became really protective of Nixie as you can see. :)

Nixie, though seemingly mature in character, is frustratingly naive and cannot see that Kolya is using her. She gave up her dreams for him. The marriage of convenience to Morten seems like more of a real relationship than the one with Kolya, although I have a problem with Morten falling in love with her at first sight when he didn't even know her. He's allowing Nixie to use him, and so I felt for him, too. I didn't believe Morten was in love with Nixie because he said it happened at first sight, and that really isn't realistic. I think it's more like lust at first sight, not love. I did believe, however, that he fell in love with her over time.

As the story unfolded, I was desperate to find out how it would end and was definitely not disappointed. This novel has an ending I never saw coming and was completely satisfied with! I'd reread this book and will be highly recommending it to others. :)

Find the Author: Goodreads

Purchase the Book: Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and make my day awesome! :D This is an award-free zone - thanks for your consideration though!